Friday, January 28, 2011

Sewing a Vintage Pattern!

 Last week I was feeling the urge to sew a Summer Dress.  (For some reason this often happens to me in January.)  I pulled out my collection of vintage patterns and decided to make this sundress.  
This was the first time I've put a zipper in a side seam, which was a bit confusing since I kept thinking that was the back of the dress, which is where I usually put zippers.  But other than that, this was a fun, easy, project!
 Since I'm not one for wearing sleeveless dresses, I was going to make a bolero to wear with it.  But then I remembered this white sweater that I have, which works very well.  I think I still might make a black bolero though....someday. 
Oh yes, and one other thing!  I had found a 'puffy' slip at a thrift store last summer that I am wearing under the dress; it helps the full skirt stand out more. It also makes a delicious rustling sound when I walk! 
  I'm guessing that this is a 1950's pattern, due to the fullness of the skirt, but I am not sure.  There is no date on the pattern.  Any ideas anyone??

 I love this dress!

13 comments:

Elinor Dashwood/Melanie said...

Oh my goodness! That is SO CUTE!!!! Absolutely adorable, and I love it with your white sweater! Very very cute!!

Amber said...

I love the dress and pattern! I adore vintage pattern! I have a favorite apron pattern and a girls dress pattern that I make a lot.

Great job!

Anna Olivia said...

How adorable!!! Love it! ~*~

Avonlea_dreamer said...

I'd say it's definately 50's! I'm envious, 50's just never do fit me right. It looks fantastic on you though!

Alyssa W. said...

Thank you for your encouraging comments girls! This dress was *such* fun to make!!
Blessings!
Alyssa

Rachel said...

Such a beautiful dress design and you look so STUNNING in it my dear! :D What a wonderful seamstress you are! Love the color choice as well. I do think the sweater looks lovely with the dress, but indeed would also look just as beautiful with a black bolero. :) Love, Love, LOVE this dress! :D Great job!

Blessings and Hugs!
~Rachel~

Alyssa W. said...

Thank you Rachel, you are so sweet! :D

Hana - Marmota said...

It looks beautiful, and the white sweater looks so perfectly summery in it!
Also, good for you to have a "puffy" petticoat - it certainyl gives the dress a nice silhouette!

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Alyssa, the dress is so beautiful!!! I adore the fashions of the 1940's and 1950's. I would dress that way all the time if I could build up a large enough wardrobe (and get away with it). :-) It's funny that you were feeling the urge to make a summer dress in January...because I've been feeling that same way myself! :-)

I actually have 25-30 projects (patterns + material) that have been accumulating over the past several years (mostly costumes from various historical eras, but also some practical skirts and dresses), so hopefully I can start setting aside some regular time for sewing.

Alyssa W. said...

Hana - Thank you! Yes I'm so thankful for the petticoat, it really helps the dress look right!

Alyssa W. said...

Stacey - Thank you! I think it would be fun to dress that way all the time too. People think it acceptable to go to town looking like they just got out of bed; why not go to town looking like we came from the 1950's?! Now that would be fun! :)
We should get together and sew!!

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Alyssa, you are so right! If people can go to Wal-Mart in their pajamas, it certainly shouldn't look odd for us to walk around in cute, old fashioned dresses. :-) It really saddens me how casual our culture has become. Sure, it has it's benefits, but I often long for the days when people got "dressed" just for dinner! Evening attire was completely different from daytime attire, and everybody wore their FINEST to attend a concert or go to the theater. Nowadays people don't think twice about wearing jeans and a t-shirt to a Broadway play (which for me is so grand an affair that it deserves something quite formal).

I wish we could get together and sew! That would be so much fun! Sadly, I fear we live in drastically different parts of the country. If my deductions are correct, you're in the frozen upper regions of the mid-west, while I'm far away in Virginia... Hopefully, though, we will have the chance to meet in person someday! If you're ever out this way, be sure to let me know... :-)

Alyssa W. said...

Stacy, yes exactly! I am always fascinated to see old photographs of people shopping. The men are wearing suits, the ladies have lovely dresses, hats, gloves... I love it!
Our culture today is so obsessed with being comfortable.

Your deductions are quite correct, we do live in the mid-west and we are almost buried in snow! :)
Oh yes, I'd love to meet you in person someday!! And if you are ever in MN let me know!